Year 5 2021 - 2022
Our first topic of the year is the ANGLO SAXONS!
Our enquiry questions will be:
- Where did the Anglo-Saxons come from and where did they settle?
- How can historians know where Anglo-Saxons settled?
- Why did the Anglo-Saxons invade Britain?
- How did the Anglo-Saxons live, trade and distribute resources?
- Were Saxon times really ‘dark’ ages?
We will be investigating the above questions during the half term, learning about what life was like in the Anglo Saxon times! We have some exciting learning planned including Anglo Saxon baking and cooking. art work and a visit to Tatton Hall for an Anglo Saxon workshop!
Keep up to date with our learning highlights SeeSaw!
If you would like to find out more about this term's learning, please view our Curriculum map below.
Five facinating facts about the Anglo Saxons!
1) The Anglo-Saxons are made up of three tribes who came to England from across the North Sea around the middle of the 5th century: the Angles, Saxons and Jutes.
2) The two most famous Anglo-Saxon kings are Alfred the Great and Canute the Great.
3) The Anglo-Saxon period covers about 600 years, and Anglo-Saxon kings ruled England for about 300 years. During this time they formed the basis for the English monarchy and laws.
4) The earliest English kings were Anglo-Saxons, starting with Egbert in the year 802.
5) Some of our modern English words, such as the days of the week, come from the Anglo-Saxon language.
Useful websites to explore at home
Files to Download
Year 5: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 5: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 5: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 5: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display